NOAA Teacher at Sea Caroline Singler getting ready to board the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Healy in Dutch Harbor AK

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Crossing the Arctic Circle


On 4 August 2010 at 2017 local time (5 August 2010 04:17 UTC), I crossed the Arctic Circle as a passenger on the USCGC Healy. One of the advantages of being on watch was that I was staring at a computer screen and could photodocument the moment – well, I missed it slightly as I adjusted the camera, but I came close!The map below shows the ship’s position at the time of our crossing. (I can't figure out how to make it larger, so look for the little red dot!)
The skies have cleared considerably over the last couple of hours. Here are a couple of photos taken from outside the lab, which is located near the stern of the ship.
Looking fore and to port:Looking aft:

Several people have told me about the recent aurora activity. Unfortunately, between fog and increasing number of daylight hours, we cannot see the displays.

From NORTH of the Arctic Circle,
Caroline

New terms
Polar Bear – one who has previously crossed the Arctic Circle at sea and has been initiated.
Blue Nose –one who is making his/her first crossing of the Arctic Circle or has previously crossed and has not been initiated.

5 comments:

  1. Caroline, your blog is looking fantastic! What great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked this to my facebook page and just had to share a couple of comments I got on there with you:
    Dawn Devaney Gammon: Go, Caroline! That is incredible!
    Patrick Keeley: What an awsome experience! I put her page in my favorites, and will be checking back to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks fabulous Caroline--and I think I've fgiured out how to comment!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I have not figured out how to spell, apparently. It's only 8 a.m. (that's 0800 to you explorer types..)

    ReplyDelete